Preliminary Oculus Rift DK2 support
- Windows installer: 188.8.131.52183 Alpha, 19 Aug 2014.
- Mac OSX installer: Sorry, no Mac OSX installer this release.
This alpha version can be installed in addition to the current release version of the CtrlAltStudio Viewer: it is installed in its own directory and has its own Start menu entry.
Changes this version:
- Rift extended mode support added. (Requires Advanced Lighting Model to be turned on.)
- Removed “Eye Separation” and “Prediction Delta” sliders from Preferences > Graphics > Display Output > Oculus Rift.
- Changed to not revert to default view when moving with a controller.
- Fixed menus closing when moving with a controller.
- Updated the CtrlAltStudio Grey skin. This fixed the script editor’s “Save” button not working.
- Added preference setting for the distance that floating text stops being displayed at.
Not implemented yet:
- Rift direct mode support.
- Positional head tracking support.
- Basic shader support for Riftlook.
- Any UI support.
Oculus Rift usage:
- Oculus Runtime downloaded from https://developer.oculusvr.com/and installed.
- Oculus Configuration Utility used to update your DK2’s firmare if necessary.
- Oculus Configuration Utility used to measure your inter-pupillary distance.
- Rift Display Mode set to “Extend Desktop to the HMD”.
- Windows displays configured to have the Rift display in landscape orientation and extend the desktop.
- Viewer configured to be in windowed mode, i.e., make sure Preferences > Graphics > General > Fullscreen mode is not ticked.
- Advanced Lighting Model turned on: Preferences > Graphics > General > Advanced Lighting Model.
- Oculus Rift output turned on: Preferences > Graphics > Display Output > Oculus Rift. And restart the viewer.
- Start the viewer and use the Windows key + right arrow twice to move the viewer window onto the Rift’s display.
- Ctrl+Alt+3 then makes the window fullscreen and switches into Riftlook view.
- Dismiss the health & safety warning by pressing a key. (It will go away after a few seconds. This “feature” is built into the Rift display driver and cannot be easily altered at present.)
- To exit Riftlook and move the viewer window back to your main display: Ctrl-Alt-3 then Windows + left-arrow.
- To improve your frame rate, reduce your draw distance and/or turn shadows off.
- If using Windows 7 and you’re experiencing juddering, try turning off Windows 7’s Aero.
Stereoscopic 3D, variable walk & fly speed, Xbox 360 controller, and Kinect for Windows should work the same as in the previous release version.
Based on Firestorm 4.6.5 code and built using the Oculus Rift SDK 0.4.1 Beta and Kinect for Windows SDK 1.8. Many thanks to the Firestorm team for providing their codebase.